Goodness and favour surround us and when we start seeking out and looking there is evidence of God’s goodness towards us everywhere. Even when it seems that no good can come of a situation, God if we seek Him will surprise us by revealing just how He has been working behind the scenes on our behalf and with our best in mind.
It however does take practice and a renewed mindset to begin to look for the good, rather than to focus upon the negative. Some people may think that’s just “putting your head in the sand” and not facing facts, but when we know God and what He promises then any contrary circumstances must line up with the truth of His Word.
A key to being more positive and to see the good is to begin to retrain yourself to focus and expect to see God’s favour and goodness towards you everyday.
Some other helpful ways to look for the good are:
1. Keep your eyes and ears on God’s Word to build your faith and expectation for God’s favour and blessings to be poured into your life.
“So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God” (Romans 10:17)
2. Give God your cares and concerns and then leave them with Him. It’s hard to see the good when you are weighed down with burdens and worries.
“Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.” (1 Peter 5:7)
3. Spend time talking to God in prayer and then declaring what He says about your life, rather than focusing and repeating the negatives or what others say about you.
“And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.” (John 14: 13-14)
4. Honour even the smallest good and positive thing in your life. Don’t take God’s blessings for granted.
“Give the Lord the glory due His name; worship the Lord in the splendour of [His] holiness.” (Psalm 29:2)
“Honour the LORD from your wealth and from the first of all your produce.” (Proverbs 10:9)
5. Look for the “silver lining” in situations and remember that God has promised that all things work together for good for those who love Him. Somewhere, somehow good will come.
“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” (Romans 8:28)
Today even if it is only a tiny sliver of joy and goodness that you can see choose to acknowledge and honour God for it. As you do you’ll start to see goodness all around you as you train your eyes, heart and mind to focus on the positives and to expect God’s daily favour to be made evident in your life.
“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” (Psalm 23:6)
“He loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of the goodness of the Lord. ” (Psalm 33:5)
“Oh, how great is Your goodness, which You have laid up for those who fear You, which You have prepared for those who trust in You in the presence of the sons of men! You shall hide them in the secret place of Your presence from the plots of man; You shall keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues.“ (Psalm 31:19-20)
Prayer: Thank you Lord for your help to retrain my eyes, heart and mind to see all the good. Please help me to grow to easily be able to see the positives so that it becomes an everyday expectation to daily experience your favour and goodness being revealed in my life. In Jesus name Amen.