Meditation is something that most people now associate with Eastern religions rather than Christianity. But Jesus-focused meditation is a completely different and powerful way of deepening our understanding and relationship with Jesus, taking hold of His word and its truths, and applying them more effectively to our life.
Eastern mediation is about emptying your mind to find peace and trying to avoid troublesome thoughts and issues within, rather than thinking deeply and taking hold of what and who Jesus says we are and allowing those truths to set us free. As a result of this emptying of your mind, a person can open themselves up to demonic influences and spirits.
Whereas Christian meditation is all about aligning our thoughts and hearts with Jesus and his word and thinking deeply about Him, His word and what he is sharing with us. As a result, meditation is a valuable practice in our spiritual growth and journey to help build our faith, replace negative or stressful thoughts and feelings, and draw us closer to Jesus.
Meditation is a little like chewing over and over on something, taking it apart, looking at it from different angles and then thoughtfully thinking about it all over again as you seek a deeper understanding and closeness to God.
A few keys ways to begin are:
· Take a verse from the Bible and sit quietly as you read, speak it out, and thoughtfully ponder upon it.
· Study different versions of the verse in the Bible if you would like to dig deeper into the texts meaning and invite the Holy Spirit to lead and guide you.
· Write the passage down and put it where you can see it throughout the day.
· Pray and seek Jesus as you focus on who He is over everything in your life.
· Write down any reflections and revelations you receive to commit them to memory so you don't forget all that you have been receiving and thinking about in the busyness of life.
· End with prayer and thank Jesus for all he is and has done and what he promises to do in your life.
"Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous." (Joshua 1:8)
"The Lord is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you." (2 Chronicles 15:2)
Prayer: Lord, please help me to draw close through you and to understand the power of contemplating your word, who you are and what you are revealing to me. Please open up your word and share your heart with me today. In Jesus' name Amen