Cultivating mindfulness and embracing the present will help you achieve your goals and enjoy life more because life isn't just about the destination but also about finding joy in the journey.
If we focus only on where we are going, we will miss the many blessings, experiences and memorable moments we could be having. But being present is an important way to enjoy life to the fullest. By being mindful, you enjoy your food, your friends and family, and anything you're doing more.
Consider making these practices part of your day to help you live more in the present and become more mindful.
1. Do tasks slowly and deliberately. Make your actions deliberate, not rushed and random. It's better for your health and will make you a calmer person to be around.
2. Do less. If you do less, you" ll do those things with more concentration and, therefore, more proficiently.
3. Put space between things; instead of rushing from one task to the next, give yourself time between tasks to "catch your breath" and gather your thoughts.
4. Spend at least 5 minutes each day doing nothing. Stop and rest. Don't cram too much into one day. It just leads to stress.
5. Stop worrying about the future. Cast all your cares upon Jesus. Live more in the present, and delight in the right now. We only get it today once, so make sure you enjoy it while it lasts.
"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)
6. When you're talking to someone, be present. Slow down your racing thoughts, look at those speaking to you, put away the phone and listen.
7. Eat slowly and savour your food. Enjoy each bite, and get the most out of your food. You'll probably eat less, compliment the cook more (which is always good), and digest your food better.
8. Live slowly and savour your life; it's a gift, so enjoy it as much as possible. Just as you would savour your food by eating it more slowly, do everything this way; slow down and embrace every moment.
9. Listen and look around you at the sights and sounds. The world is full of wonderful things. Imagine how you would behave if you were a tourist in an amazing foreign place.
10. Practice being a tourist where you live; you’ll be amazed at what's right in front of you all along.
Prayer: Lord, help me to live in the present and not take today for granted and to live engaged, alert, alive and enthusiastic. Please help me to remember that today is a gift. In Jesus' name Amen.