There are many self-help books, life coaches and how-to gurus; my psychology lecturers call most of them Pseudo Psychologists. Yet even with all this advice, many people still don’t know where to look for help or guidance or how to bring change in their life.
Fortunately, in amongst all these words of advice, there stands Jesus, who openly said that He is “the way, the truth and the life” (John 14:6). His words are timeless and hold life-changing truths and whenever Jesus spoke and still speaks to people, lives were and are transformed and altered forever.
If we spent our time and maybe saved our money just following His red letter words (They're usually in red ink in the bible) and getting to know who He is, it would alter everything because He changes everything.
Whether we are just beginning to seek Jesus or have been following Him and His words for years, the Word of God can always speak new truths into our lives and teach us wisdom far beyond our years and experience.
Here are some keys on how to follow Jesus' red letter words:
1. Seek Jesus first – Make Him the centre of all you are and do, and he will add all the other things that people chase after to your life. “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” (Matthew 6:33)
Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”(John 8:12)
Jesus wants us to pray, ask for His help, and lean on the supernatural resources in Him. He says: “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks, it will be opened.” (Matthew 7:7-8)
Unlike many other powerful or important people, Jesus has room and time in His heart for everyone, even the littlest child. He sees everyone! (Matthew 19:14)
2. Be a Light in the World – “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16). You weren’t made to be hidden or in the background, but to share what you have experienced and know about Jesus with others.
3. Love our enemies – “But I say to you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.” (Matthew 5:43-44)
4. Do to others whatever we would like them to do to us.” (Matthew 7:12)
5. Love God and our neighbour. Jesus said, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your passion, prayer and intelligence.’ This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: ‘Love others as well as you love yourself.’ (Matthew 22:37-40)
6. Be a servant to others – “But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Mark 10:42-45)
Jesus said that if we hear and follow His red letter words, we will be like a wise man who built his house upon the rock; even when the storms of life come, our lives will remain strong.
“Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.” (Matthew 7:24)
Today if you want to know how to live a life which stands regardless of the storm, or know how to treat others, pray and receive answers; to love and get along with others, how to be successful or any other of life’s questions then I recommend choosing to follow the words of Jesus and get to know Him more because He promises He will lead you in the way to go and teach you how to live freely and lightly.
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me, and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28-3 MSG)
Prayer: Jesus, please help me read, hear and act upon your words daily so I can get to know you and be like the wise man who built his house upon the rock. In Jesus name, Amen.